Thursday, April 26, 2012

So I tried kangaroo meat...

So, along with this diet I am currently following, it was recommended I try kangaroo meat. I know, right? One half of our Coat of Arms! I'd never had the nerve to try it before, because, well, it's kangaroo. I'm a beef, chicken, lamb girl through and through, and the only types of pork I eat is ham and bacon. Let me tell before going into this - I'm not really a fan. Sure, the meat was cooked to perfection, the marinade was lovely, but the taste of the meat was a strange flavour that I don't think I want to try again.
If you however do like kangaroo meat, or want to give it a go, here's the recipe.


Kangaroo steaks with salad
Serves 2-4 (we were really hungry!)


Ingredients:
Pack of 4 kangaroo steaks (I got these from Woolworths)
1 lemon, halved
1 teaspoon or so crushed garlic (fresh or in the jar is fine, use to taste)
2 sprigs basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon, cardamom
1/2 teaspoon, cinnamon
Pepper to taste


For the salad, I bought a pack of 4 different small lettuces from woolies, 3 vine tomatoes cut in wedges, 2 cucumbers peeled and sliced, the juice of 1 lime, 1 teaspoon garlic (I think I need to cut back a little, yeah?) and pepper. You can make any salad you want though.


Directions:
Get out your grill press and get it nice and hot. Combine the juice of the lemon with the garlic, basil, and spices then add your steaks. The pack said to marinade for 20 minutes but I didn't have time for that so just let them sit until the grill was hot.  Lightly spray both plates of the grill with spray olive oil, then place your steaks on the hotplate and close. You want to cook them until they are lightly firm, if you cut them open, you want the meat red at this point. Let them sit for 5-10 minutes then serve with your choice of salad.


Pretty quick and easy, but I didn't care for the taste so will be going back to chicken tonight I think. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment