Thursday, April 19, 2012

What's for Dinner tonight?

One dish I always come back to is grilled chicken with cabbage salad. It's quick and easy, and for the most part healthy. I learnt the cabbage salad from my mother-in-law, as well as using her method for the dressing, so the measurements for that are going to be off the top of my head based on how much I think I'm putting in.
So here goes...

Grilled Chicken with Cabbage salad
Serves however much you prepare for.

Ingredients:
Chicken schnitzel with no crumbs (I buy these from Bush's Meats, and I haven't seen it in Woolies or Franklins. Check your local butcher first, and support local businesses!)
Lemon juice (either fresh or bottled, although fresh is more fragrant)
Za'atar mix (I got a big bag about a year ago from my local grocers, but you can make your own with dried thyme, dried oregano, dried marjoram, toasted sesame seeds, salt and sumac. You may also find prepacked mix in Middle Eastern delis and small goods stores.)
Spray olive oil
Red or white cabbage
Cold pressed olive oil (or whatever olive oil you have - most is cold pressed anyway)
Apple cider vinegar
Salt

Directions:
In a bowl, place your chicken, then top with the lemon juice - you want a light covering. Pour in za'atar mix - you are using this kind of like breadcrumbs for making schnitzel, so you want an even and all over cover.
Get out your George Foreman Lean Mean Grilling Machine, or similar (if you don't have one that's fine, feel free to fry up in a fry pan or use a griddle if you have one) and lightly spray olive oil over surface. You don't want too much, just enough to ensure the chicken doesn't stick.
Once the grill is hot, place your chicken on the hotplates, making sure there is no overlap. I have a very small grilling machine, so I usually do two at a time.
Cook chicken thoroughly until white in the centre.
If you are cooking in batches, it's handy to have a plate covered with aluminium foil to cover the chicken so it stays warm.

Now onto the salad! Finely slice the cabbage until you have your preferred amount. for a quarter cabbage, I usually put about a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar, and a half tablespoon of olive oil, with a teaspoon or so of salt to taste. This part is all on you! Whatever tastes good for you, then keep it there. You want to make sure you have an even balance of flavours - don't go overboard with the vinegar or the oil.

And you're done! See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment