Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Using packet vanilla cake mixes to create your own flavours!

I love cakes. I'm sure a lot of people do (except my Mum, she doesn't like cake). I'm currently in the process of a pantry clean out, and discovered 2 packs of vanilla cupcake mix right at the very top. Now, vanilla cupcakes are nice and all, but what happens if you feel like something a little different? Well friends, that is exactly what happened the other day! It's very simple, and a fun way to experiment with different tastes. I'll definitely be making the Vanilla-Rosewater ones again, they came out so light and fluffy!

Vanilla-Rosewater Cupcakes
Ingredients
1 pack vanilla cupcake mix (mine was made by Greens I believe)
Vanilla essence
Rosewater

Directions
Follow the directions on your pack - I think most will have you mix the mixture for 3 minutes so you want to stop mixing at 2 minutes and add rosewater. This is all to taste, so pour a little in, mix, taste and then add more depending on how subtle or strong you want the rosewater to come through. I think I used maybe half a teaspoon to a teaspoon, but I was going off how strong I wanted to rosewater taste. In the end, I could taste the rosewater but it didn't overpower the entire mix. I also added a drop or two of vanilla essence to make the vanilla taste a little fresher.
Bake as instructed.
Ice as instructed, although feel free to add some rosewater to taste here as well. I also topped mine with pink, purple and white sprinkles.

Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes
Ingredients
1 pack vanilla cupcake mix
1 pack cocoa

Directions
Follow the directions on your pack. One minute before the reccommended mixing time, add cocoa to taste. Same thing as above - add a little, mix, taste, add more depending on how you want it to taste.
Bake as instructed.
Mix the icing as instructed, but add cocoa to the mix to taste the same as with your cake mixture - add, mix, taste, repeat until it is what you want it to taste like. I then added blue and green sprinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment